Welding cylinder handling and storage
Welding Cylinder Handling and Storage
Tips for storing gas cylinders
- Check fire code for guidelines regarding the storage of flammable gas cylinders.
- Post "no smoking" signs in the area.
- Store cylinders, both empty and full, in the upright position and secure with an insulated chain or non-conductive belt.
- During storage, close the cylinder valves with the protective caps in place.
- With outside storage, place on a fireproof surface and enclose in a tamper-proof enclosure.
- Protect cylinders from contact with ground, ice, snow, water, salt, corrosion, and high temperatures.
- Store cylinders in a clearly identified, dry, well-ventilated storage area that is not exposed to heat or the direct rays of the sun, and away from doorways, aisles, elevators, and stairs.
- Protect cylinders from falling. Use a chain or adequate support system. Consider securing each cylinder separately to prevent other cylinders from falling when items are removed from storage.
- Cylinders must also be separated away from flammable and combustible liquids and from materials that easily ignite (such as wood, paper, oil, grease, etc.)
- Store oxygen cylinders and fuel gas cylinders separately. Indoors, separate oxygen from fuel gas cylinders.
- Place cylinders in a category which could be labelled as "Empty cylinder" and always differentiate empty cylinders from full cylinders.
- Remove regulators when not in use and store these away from grease and oil.
- Put protective caps on the fittings when in storage.
- Keep cylinders and fittings from becoming contaminated with oil, grease or dust.
- Do not use a cylinder that is not identified or if the label is not legible. This is to avoid sending wrong signal to the person who might need them.
- Do not fasten cylinders to a work table or to structures where they could become part of an electrical circuit.
- Do not strike an arc on a cylinder.
- Do not place or store cylinders in unventilated enclosures such as lockers or cupboards.
- Do not use full or empty cylinders as rollers or supports.
- Do not use a cylinder for any purpose other than to contain the gas for which the cylinder was designed. Ensure not to fill a cylinder with the gas that is not specified
- Do not place acetylene cylinders in a horizontal position.
- Do not accept compressed gas cylinders from the supplier unless they are properly labelled and have protective valve caps in place.
Why buy at Tikweld?
We are one of Nigeria’s largest independent welding supplies businesses with a full-service industrial product offering, and leading the way in Nigeria with specialized welding products. Tikweld Welding Supplies and Services brings you a great combination of stock availability, guaranteed quality, true and open price and with technical support and after-sales service. We have help available, to assist our customers with onsite support and hands-on experience, on what best suits your requirements with careful attention to detail and complete adherence to learning manufacturing processes and principles.
We have support in all towns and cities throughout Nigeria, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar, Abuja, Kano, and Ibadan just to name a few.
Please contact us for Product availability in your region